Type Senator Chiz Escudero's name into Google's search field and you'll see search auto suggestions that revolve around topics that have nothing to do with his job.
I'm not a search algorithm expert and I hope I'm wrong but these auto options could imply that Google is suggesting them because there are more Filipinos interested in the state of his love life than the state of the nation.
This isn't the first time a politician's private life has generated more attention than his actual performance or his stand on national issues. That makes me think that what truly determine if a politician has a high chance of winning the elections are:
- his civil status (in a relationship/single/it's complicated)
- his ability to sing and dance
- his dermatological condition
- the number of tarpaulins that carry his digitally enhanced face
Of course as members of the Cagayan de Oro new and traditional media, we had to do better than ask him about his girlfriend, his skin care secrets and the color of his pajamas when he sleeps at night.
The resulting video is a little long but it's well worth watching if you care to find out if the Philippines is likely to crash and burn next year. Among some of the issues he addressed are:
- ammending the Cybercrime Act of 2012
- the Bangsamoro Agreement
- seeking to prevent government officials from painting their faces, names and mustaches on public property
- why it's not a good idea to have a Freedom of Information law now
- political allegiances and how they determine fund allocation
- why some laws have slept and hardened like cooking oil (natutulog na mantika?)
- hospitals so bereft of life saving supplies and facilities, they should start offering funeral plans instead
- why lawmakers are still in labor over the RH Bill after 7 congresses
After hearing Escudero speak, will you still vote for him come elections 2013?